Friday, June 29, 2012

It's hard to believe

that in 12 hours, 3 years ago, I had just had my second incredibly strong contraction whilst waiting for a sizing ultrasound for miss T.

I had gestational diabetes so they had to monitor her growth with repeated ultrasounds, and I was on insulin 4 times a day. And sitting in the waiting room I said to my friend "how funny would it be if I went into labour here". And within minutes I had the first contraction.

So many memories come flooding back. The looks of confusion on the faces of the staff because "this has never happened". The look on my friend's face. The feelings I was experiencing. The terror I felt when, after the first hour, they conducted the sizing scan and told me she was nearly 9 lb.

And so for the following 25.5 hours so much happened, which I won't go into, but when she did eventually arrive she was a lovely 7lb 2oz, not 9lb.

But I'm sure I'll post some mushy stuff on her actual birthday.

It's funny though. I went into labour at 10am on 30 June 2009. Little miss was born at 11.50am on 1 July 2010. An entire (financial) year later. Makes you wonder about twins born a day apart - one at 11.59pm and the other at 12.01am the following day. Well, it makes me wonder anyway.

And I'm feeling sadness that I'll never go through that again. Even though I know my little family unit is complete. But still, there is that feeling. You can't run away from it. It will always be there. It is the eternal mother.

I am conscious of every breath now. Times 4. My own, and my three wonderful babies.

And am blessed to have them in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment