Saturday, June 30, 2012

There is far too much

swearing in this world. And far too little consideration.

I take care not to swear in front of my children. Every now and then I let a little one slip, and no doubt it comes back in some random way. Lexi asked if she could watch the bloody Wiggles the other day. And I felt awful, because I had let her down by letting that slip in front of her.

But when people feel the only way in which they can express themselves is by swearing, or interspersing what would otherwise be normal conversation with swearing, then, well, to be honest I just find it sad. And very tempting to give them a dictionary for their next birthday.

The English language has a veritable plethora of words to use. So why ensure that cussing makes its way into each sentence? There is simply no need.

So next time you stub your toe, try focusing on what is happening and not on expletives. Or simply say ow. You never know who might be listening.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more with this one. I have one friend who must have a limited vocabulary, as every second word that comes out of her mouth is some sort of profanity. It really irks me, as she's such a lovely, beautiful person, but the swearing makes her so ugly and tacky - it makes me sad in away.

    ReplyDelete