Monday, June 25, 2012

It's never a good sign

when you are on your way to the first of two doctor's appointments for your daughter and the phone rings to tell you appointment number 2's doctor just called in sick.

The first appointment was still on. Lexi had her 4 year old needles. A little late, but with surgery and subsequent illness this truly was the earliest we could do it.

She was a star. I mean a star. A gleaming, sparkling, amazingly shiny star. She sat on my knee, watched the needle go in, and did not even so much as flinch or utter a tiny peep. And as we were leaving she waved and said "bye!!".

And so because the next appointment was cancelled we went to Donut King, where Lexi had a pink dinosaur with purple sprinkles and I had a lovely long black.

The rest of the day was highly unproductive. By 4pm I realised I hadn't actually done a great deal, so I put on the thinking cap. I decided to pretend someone was coming over in half an hour. You've never seen anything like it. I was like the Tassie Devil cartoon, whizzing and whirring all over the place. And by 4.36pm or thereabouts the house was spotless (well, not really, but it was pretty good).

So I have decided that that will be my new cleaning mantra. Clean as though you are having visitors. Soon. That only just rang to tell you. And don't you hate that?

I did however find the time to make an amazing slow-cooked crispy skinned pork belly. Seriously good. Too good in fact. So good in fact that all of the crackling is gone. Well, it doesn't reheat well, does it? I was really protecting the kids from a bad porcine experience. Taking one for the team. Noble aren't I......

No comments:

Post a Comment