Monday, January 31, 2011

Captain obvious returns

as I say holy crap it's hot today. It must be so hard for kids when it's hot. They are a bundle of energy and still want to run around and carry on and play and be kids but when they do what they usually do instead of just getting that happy healthy childlike playing glow they get absolutely drenched in sweat, absolutely buggered, and very very cranky. And most of the time they won't understand what's going on. It's pretty brutal.

I had a whole lot of stuff typed and just deleted it. Because it was ramble. Things I have probably said before. But still, ramble. I'm beside myself. Cyclone Yasi is bearing down on Queensland and there is nothing anyone can do. I just got a text message telling me to evacuate, even though I'm already in Victoria, because my last address was in Mackay, which is at severe risk of storm surge. And it will happen.

And there are people I love and care about there. And it is ripping me apart. Because there is nothing I can do. Being there wouldn't help. Being here doesn't help. I can only watch and wait and see what happens.

Worry is a wasted emotion, because it achieves nothing. However it is such a part of most of our lives. We worry about whether we will lose weight. We worry about whether we will achieve what we set out to do. We worry about whether the washing will dry in time. Ridiculous things. Why do we worry? It changes nothing except for our feelings. Nothing. It literally achieves absolutely nothing. And yet I am sitting here not sleeping because I am worried about what the cyclone will do. Will it change anything? Absolutely not. Does it make me feel better? Absolutely not. So why do it? Because we are human. We worry. I try not to worry about the small things. If the washing isn't done it isn't the end of the world. But things that affect lives, I do worry. A lot. And I feel a bit guilty that I am here and they are there. And then I wonder if deep down in my semipsychic subconscious I knew something was going to happen and wanted to protect the kids. Who knows. Not I.

So for now I am not myself. I am someone who is waiting to see what mother nature will dish up and hope to god that it is not too serious. And I am thinking of each and every person that is in the path of Yasi, and every one of their relatives, and I just hope that everything works out okay, for everyone.

Stay safe xxxxx

1 comment:

  1. I am pretty scared... Terrified actually would be the word that fits it. Glad you guys are safe. Every one is scared and leaving town. Which doesn't help with my nerves of staying.

    ReplyDelete