Sunday, January 23, 2011

Do you ever

hear a song on the radio at some point and that song sticks in your mind for the rest of the day? I'm not talking about when a song is the last song on the radio before you turn the car off, or the last song that is used as the backing music for an advertisement before you turn the tv off. I'm talking about a song that you heard at some nondescript point during the day that has plagued you literally non-stop for the remainder of the day?

Today for me that song is Big Yellow Taxi. The remake. I heard it while driving to Geelong to visit family, we had an absolutely wonderful day, the girls got to play with their nana and pop and I got to go out for lunch with my dad, kidlet free (though I must admit I checked my phone for the time every 5 minutes, literally, as I basically never leave my kids, ever, with anyone, so it's kinda difficult for me to be away from them without worrying), but it was lovely.

So why Big Yellow Taxi? I think because the remake made me think of the remake's video, which kind of missed the point really. The song is not about a Big Yellow Taxi. But they focused on it. Even though that is what it is called, listen to the lyrics.

Late last night
I heard my screen door slam
And a big yellow taxi
took away my old man
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

It's not about the taxi. It's about not realising what you have until it's gone.

Subconscious is a pretty smart thing. Sometimes I think we don't listen to it often enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment