Thursday, December 16, 2010

I am a nerd

There is no other explanation for it. And it has taken 37 years for me to become that way, however there is simply no escaping the fact that nerd I am and nerd I will continue to be.

Here's my reasoning. I am studying two masters subjects this semester. Each subject has three essays, so that's a total of 6 essays. The first two essays were due on the same day (tomorrow), the following two are due within a week or so of each other, and the same with the third ones. The subjects seem to run in parallel. That's fine, that makes sense. So in order to make sure I allowed myself enough time I started one as soon as I got the topic and allowed myself half the time to do it, leaving the remaining half to do the second one. That meant that I had one essay done two weeks earlier than it was due, and one completed today, the day before it is due.

Now I have worked very hard on these essays, so when I logged on to the uni website today to see people still asking absolutely fundamental questions about the topic itself I realised that once upon a time that could well have been me.....partying and out and about and then realising the day before something was due that it was in fact due, and then going like a bat out of hell to get it done.

Well, I am no bat, although some of my days are hell. And here I am, both essays due tomorrow, and both completed, and I'm happy with them. Both of them. So I think that makes me a nerd. Still, I'm a nerd who has done the essays and can sit and chill tonight, as much as mums to three under three chill that is.

I'm even organised enough to have arranged a small extension on the next assignment because it is due the day I arrive back from Victoria. Ultra nerdism right there and then. Or is it organisation? What about organerdation? That seems like a good blend of the two.

I need an extra pair of hands at the moment.....Angus is awake and wanting a feed, Lexi has finished dinner and is ready for a bath and Tabitha is so close to being finished that by the time I finish typing this sentence her mouth will be chewing the last bite, ready to swallow and open her mouth to alert me, sirenesquely (I made that word up and I think I will continue to use it) that she is ready to hop down.

On a side note, there are several words that I believe should be incorporated into the English language. Nahmate is one such example. It's something that makes quite a bit of sense if you think about it. "I asked the lecturer for an extension and he nahmated me". It means nah, mate, not gonna happen. So if you haven't heard it before, will you accept my challenge to incorporate this incredibly meaningful word into our ever expanding language?? Are you up to it?? I hope you don't nahmate me.......

No comments:

Post a Comment