Thursday, December 2, 2010

Today is day one

of my abstinence from Coke. It just so happened that Angus awoke at 3.40am, was back down at around 4.15am give or take, and Tabitha woke up at 5am. Finally got her settled and managed to get back to sleep til around half 6. Massive sleep in! Still, I was searching for caffeine when I woke up and the first thing I did was go to the fridge. So I do think there is some habit there, not just all need. I have a coffee in front of me now, which is at least one form of caffeine, although I must say that the glass of water I also have beside it (I seem to have a need to have two different drinks on the go at once) is hardly as fulfilling as a Coke or a Red Bull might be. See I have a little loophole because I only said I was giving up Coke.....I have a Red Bull technicality.....not that I have any, but if I wanted one I could....

Lexi loves to draw. She got some new crayons yesterday, the schmicko Crayola ones with the bright colours. First crayon out of the box she hadn't even touched crayon to paper and his head fell off. It had obviously been broken somewhere along the line from factory to shop. Well, in the life of a two year old, there must be nothing sadder than a broken crayon. And when that crayon breaks while two out of your three children are asleep and the ramifications of that broken crayon rush to you in such an instant that you know instantly, before the crayon even falls to the floor, the enormity of sound that will be generated from the mouth of the hoping to draw child, you will do anything to prevent that occurring. So I leapt like a gazelle, instantly grabbing a crayon of comparable colour and putting it in her hand while stealthily removing the offending broken one, hoping to god that my slight of hand would be sufficient to avoid what would potentially be an earth shattering explosion of sound.

It did. Thanks in great part to my amazing powers of distraction. And a biscuit.

It's raining today. My goodness. What a surprise. Apparently we have had the wettest November on record. Hard to believe really, the duckpond, sorry horse paddock, barely looks different.

I wonder how many times the word mummy is uttered in a day? In this house I mean. Worldwide, holy moly, it defies thought the number of times it would be mentioned, whispered, screamed, cried, sobbed, laughed, yelled and the like. Well, so far we've had a fairly tame mummy morning. Lexi got up before Tabitha, which is a rarity, I grabbed brekky for her which she hooned through because her goal for the day is to obviously draw as much as she can. Because as I mentioned, she loves to draw.

I might count them one day. The mummy's I mean. Be very interesting. Tabitha says mummy with an upwards inflection at the end. Kind of like mummmEE? So I answer TabithAA. She gets a kick out of it. After half an hour or so I do find myself saying "Tabitha what do you want?" which is, I now realise, where Lexi got her "I want cheesecake" or "I want apple juice" from, each of which is now followed by a "PLEEEEEEEEEEASE" because she believes that please will get you what you want. What she fails to realise is that please doesn't necessarily get you what you want, however lack of please will definitely NOT get you what you want, so odds are better to chuck a please in there. Cluey little kids.

Well Tabitha counts up to ten now. And when we're singing three little ducks she holds up her fingers for the number of ducks that remain. She is one clever little chicken. 17 months old and her vocabulary is already far in advance of what I would even comprehend for a 2 year old. She rocks. Lexi rocks too, just in a different way. And Angus, well, he rocks too, but again, in a different way.


And so the day has begun, I'm slowly sucking the goodness (aka caffeine) out of this coffee and feeling my body wake up. I intended to crack the slowy out yesterday but methinks today is the day. Steak in the slowy. Sensational.

No comments:

Post a Comment