Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I'm on facebook

as are, I believe, about one quarter of the world's population. I don't have that many people as friends on there but I do have several hundred, but I'm thinking of cutting that number down. It isn't that I don't like the people I have as friends on there, and I don't accept random friend requests, but I am starting to get increasingly annoyed with the statuses people put. I'm all for putting statuses telling people how you are feeling and every now and then tagging someone or directing a status at them, but what I am completely 100% over is the consistently negative posts. Surely there is one day where something is going RIGHT for these people. But no, every status is something that is wrong, whether it is the children misbehaving (which let's face it they are basically made to do), or the bank or telstra or something has screwed up, or neighbours are annoying (I say that as I am hearing a lawnmower at 6.42am so I feel I have a right to make comment here!), or they feel ill or have a headache or can't believe they have to work and you get the gist. Just once, one day, I would like to see something like "what a great day to be alive". Something like that. Anyway I don't have time in my life for consistent negativity. I have enough going on to be burdened with someone else's misery half a dozen times a day in different ways. So I believe a "friend cull" may just be in order.

I discovered something yesterday. The little line they have on the milkshake maker's cup is not a suggestion as to how much milk to put, it is an instruction. Difference? Suggestion is a "thereabouts" measure where a bit either way isn't going to make much difference. Instruction is telling you how to do it. I went over the line while making the girls a milkshake. Let's just say there was somewhat of a strawberry tsunami arising from the milkshake maker and coating the bench in a lovely pinkish 'patina'.

Lexi and I made gingerbread cookies yesterday. I learned several things during the course of our baking. Firstly, Lexi adores cutting shapes out of biscuits, so we shall do that again. She also enjoys eating the raw cookie dough. Who knew.

I also learned that if you haven't made a biscuit recipe before, doubling the batch first up is probably not the best idea, for you will then spend the next hour and a half baking the plethora of biscuits tray after tray after tray because the oven simply isn't built to bake several hundred biscuits at once.

Another thing I learned that whilst it may be hot and you need the air conditioner on, if that air conditioner has a direct path of the air over the table where you will be making your biscuits, be prepared for the fact that when you go to sift the flour much of said flour will be blown all over the house rather than sifting itself directly into the bowl.

And as I listen to the dull hum of the lawnmower, wishing myself somewhere else, I can see young miss Tabitha stealing something from the pantry. I have bred common little thieves. Tabitha is the best at stealing Angus's half empty bottles as soon as I put them down to burp him. Lexi, well, she'll pick up anything she sees lying around, and both of them are little pantry raiders from way back. But somehow I don't think I'll give her the sweet potato, carrot and apple baby food pouch she has popped up on the table in front of a snack cup and a spoon.

Lexi has managed to find the cookie cutter we were using yesterday and is sitting hopefully at the table with an expectant look upon her face. Guess we'll be making some more biscuits today.....

No comments:

Post a Comment