Sunday, December 5, 2010

Yesterday was enormous

From the outset of the day it really just didn't stop. As soon as I had given the girls breakfast, I quickly dived into the shower as Angus was asleep (he'd already done the been up and gone back down thing by that stage), then Lexi and I made a loaf of bread in the breadmaker. If ever you think that a wide mouthed jug is a good way to measure water when making bread with a 2 1/2 year old, rethink it. So after I mopped the floor and got everyone changed we finished measuring out everything we needed and got the bread in the breadmaker.

Then it was chocolate crackle o'clock. The recipe says it makes 24. Be advised that if you buy muffin cases instead of patty pans you can change this number to 12. Now chocolate crackles are a huge hit with kids, but making them is also a hit. Unfortunately sometimes children don't really listen. Other children may listen a little more, but Lexi, when she's in the zone, just wants to do what Lexi wants to do, and no amount of my telling her not to will change her mind with what she wants to do. So when she took a bite of the copha..... well, let's just say she didn't do that again. We had rice bubbles flying and coconut flipping and icing sugar floating through the air and things seemed to be going well. The copha was on the stove slowly melting, as per the instructions, and the last thing we needed to add prior to the copha was cocoa. Now cocoa looks a great deal more appetising than it actually is, so you can imagine the look on Lexi's face as she put the entire teaspoon full of cocoa straight into her mouth. And again, if you had have listened to mummy.......

So once we washed the cocoa off everything, didn't bother to change outfits again just yet, and had a nice big drink of water to dissolve the cocoa from everywhere inside Lexi's mouth, the mixture was spooned into the muffin cases and the tears began as I whipped them off the table to put into the fridge, all the while explaining that unless they were set she would not be able to eat them. Sometimes, well, you talk and talk and can literally see your words go in one ear and out the other.

And then mummy whisked off to a baby shower, which was lovely. Some kid free time catching up with grown ups. And talking about babies. There is no escape. And so when I got home, everything was waiting for me, and I was basically just a few hours out of my routine, which meant I had to go like a bat out of hell to get everything done. Not saying that nothing was done while I was gone, just not the order I would have done it in (I usually bath Angus in the arvo to save having to bath three kids at night). Anyway, it was lovely to get away, and I amazed myself by just how much I could get done in such a short space of time when I got home.

Burps are funny. Hilarious in fact. So when Angus does a good burp, and I tell him he's a good boy, Lexi comes over and tells him he is a good boy and Tabitha looks at me and laughs and makes mock burp noises. This in turn starts Lexi making mock burp noises and laughing and before you know it the room is filled with sounds of burps and laughter. It's quite contagious. The laughter, not the burps.

Lexi, as I have mentioned, is somewhat of a helper. When plates and bowls and cups are finished with she puts them in the sink. What she doesn't seem to grasp is the "finished" concept. She sees an empty plate and instantly there it goes, never mind that this plate is empty because you have sandwich in hand and are taking a bite of it. Ah well, too slow. We need to be ever mindful of the placing of coffee and water cups too, lest they be whipped away when not quite empty.

The stereo sounds of mummy are reverberating through the house so I had best see if I can get some elaboration as to the mummy....wish me luck....so often the days are filled with incessant ramblings of mummy mummy mummy mummy and then a bit of laughter and some more mummy mummy while I go insane trying not to lose it because I get no further than mummy mummy mummy.

I had KFC for dinner last night. With ranch dressing. Consequently breakfast this morning was KFC with ranch dressing, and a Red Bull. Just so you know, 99% fat free ranch dressing is nowhere NEAR as satisfying as the full o' fat stuff. Lesson learned, and mistake will not be made again.

I hear velcro. It's nappy velcro. I must go and I must go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment