Thursday, December 16, 2010

I had a frozen coke

this morning. It was not intentional. It was in fact purely accidental. And yes, I am drinking Coke again. As I may have mentioned I lasted 6 days Coke free, and now it is back in my eating plan. Not near as much though, I'm not trawling through litres of it, but I do allow myself a glass when I feel like it, and this morning I felt like it. So why did I have a frozen Coke? Well I think my fridge is having an identity crisis. It firmly believes it is a freezer. On top of the coke I also have frozen dip, frozen lettuce and frozen spring onions. Now I'm not sure if you have seen any of these things frozen but it is a state in which they do not feel supremely comfortable, nor one from which they will recover unscathed. I even had turned the fridge down (or up, I'm not exactly sure what is the correct expression referring to coldness) to try and avoid the freezing that was occurring. One day, one lovely day in the future, I will have one of those mega fridges, a side by side fridge freezer, with many shelves and many compartments and it will never freeze food unintentionally. It will be at the top of its fridgey class and have no identity issues. Its best friend will be a 900mm oven. And there will be little children, a popcorn maker and a fairyfloss maker, happily tucked away playing hide and seek until they are found and put to use.

I love kitchen gadgets. Oh so very much. Not so much the gadgety gadgets, just appliances. The most recent addition is a bread maker, which I love, yet am still to use properly. I have made only plain and French breads, with one little mediterranean loaf thrown in there. I am hankering for pumpkin bread too, but every time I remember I wanted to make pumpkin bread I have either forgotten to get pumpkin or my schizophrenic fridge has frozen it.

The slow cooker is a must for any mother. Absolutely invaluable. You can just chuck everything in in the morning, turn it on, then by the arvo there you go. Dinner. Just like that.

The pressure cooker is also a wonderful invention. It's like a slow cooker on speed. And meat comes out tasting oh so tender. There are a few traps for the inexperienced players though. Pressure cookers have a pressure valve, and in the "olden days" these valves had no little safety mechanisms on them, they were basically a metal whistle that sat over a steam hole vent on the top of the pressure cooker, and you would need to manually release the steam in order to get the pressure cooker open again after cooking. I used to have such a pressure cooker. That is until one day when I was making beef with a red wine and mushroom sauce. This was only my second attempt at using the pressure cooker in question. So when I released the valve I inadvertently completely uncovered the steam hole vent thus proceeding to coat my ceiling in a thin layer of beef with red wine and mushroom sauce. And before you ask, yes, it did stain. And yes, it did take an awful long time to clean. Consequently I had KFC for dinner that night and that pressure cooker found the direct way to kitchen gadget heaven.

Other items have found their way into our kitchen. The milkshake maker is something Mick and the girls adore. I don't drink milk so it isn't my cup of tea (or milk I should say), but I believe it played an integral role in getting Tabitha to actually drink milk rather than formula. The toaster, well, it's a toaster. We have a donut maker too but donuts in the donut maker just aren't the same as donuts from Donut King or one of those sort of places, so I'm somewhat hesitant to make more in case the disappointment is too much too handle. I love the fluffy, light, warm cinnamon donuts, with sugary cinnamony goodness that sticks to your fingers. Mmmmm.

My second essay is not finished yet. I sort of forgot, but sort of didn't forget, that it was due tomorrow. So the last few days I have been belting my brain trying to absorb facts about the international sale of goods, as you do. Today I hope to get this essay finished, and possibly even commence the next one. For we are going away on January 5 and shan't return until late on January 14, and the essay is due on the 14th. Hmmm. Not ideal timing there. And I should probably mention that as I am laptop challenged, I shan't be blogging during that time.

I wonder where I will put all my thoughts?? And I wonder if anyone will miss me......

Caffeine o'clock. TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment