Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Murphy's Law

states that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. So it isn't really Murphy's Law I wish to quote, but some other law or rule with which I am not familiar enough to be able to quote so instead I am quoting Murphy's Law.

Anyway, my point is this. Last night Angus slept through. Yes. All night. He slept from 7pm until 5.30am. Absolutely astounding. I'm ecstatic, although you probably can't hear it through the dreariness that is evident in my tone, if writing does indeed have a tone. Dreary I hear you say.....Angus slept through so why is it that you are dreary. Well, I shall tell you.

Yesterday it was $1 day at Civic Video - all videos, new releases and otherwise, were $1. I believe I mentioned this earlier as I found one such video placed ever so delicately in the rubbish bin courtesy of Tabitha. Thanks baby. Well, I had decided I wanted to get the second one of those Twilight films, which as it turns out is called New Moon, and, because of the fact that I rarely get out much this film was now a weekly (haha). So I got that one, Avatar (another new to weekly....pays to not get out much, you get all the latest releases on weekly....so I guess they aren't really the latest....but in my mind they are still new so it doesn't really matter), and a few for the girls.

Got home, did the stuff that we do, feeding, bathing etc etc, and Lexi starts looking a little bit pale. And starts to feel a little warm. First temperature taking was 38.1 under the arm, and they (whoever they hell "they" are) say you are to add a degree when you take the temperature under the arm so I guess you could say it was 39.1. Panadol. And time goes on then it's bed time, she is still hot, so I give her some Nurofen and she goes straight to sleep.

Now I might add that the weather here has been oppressive to put it mildly. To give you an indication the relative humidity was 98% at midnight, and 96% for the few hours leading up to that. Now if you are unaware of what that feels like, just imagine that you have decided to move into the sauna at the local gym, and keep carrying out your daily activities in that sauna. It is exhausting, draining, and you will sweat enough to fill the local pool. 

Back to the story. I watch my film. I get halfway through when Lexi has her first waking, poor baby. This was a nightmare and she was easily settled back. After the film ends I decide to have a flick around on the computer because it is still too hot to sleep, which I am glad I did because Lexi woke again approximately 10 minutes later.

Well, cutting a long story short there were probably half a dozen occasions overnight that Lexi required my attention. Not for anything more than to just have me there - she wasn't overly distressed in that she would cry but instantaneously settle once she saw me. When she is ill she is just clingy and just wants her mum, and that's me, and it's part of my job description, and I would do anything just to make her feel better.

She's still warm this morning but seems happy enough in herself which is a good sign. It's when she lays around lethargically that I worry more. When she falls asleep in random places. That said she has just come and leaned up against me, still happy, but so very very hot. My poor little girl. I just want to take all the nasties away.

And mini chick is sitting in her high chair eating sultana bran buds. Well, eating is a liberal term. She is in fact removing them from her bowl and then replacing them in the bowl on a fairly regular basis, eating the odd one as she goes.

And my rocking little mini dude is swinging while doing some work after having had a lovely morning bottle. I'm so proud of my little man. I just can't believe he slept through. It's not to say it will happen again.....it takes three times for something to be classified as a "habit" and two weeks for it to be classified as a "routine" so we are far from either of those things occurring. Still, when you compare him to Tabitha (and I know the elusive "they" say don't compare but that's like putting a wet paint sign on something and saying not to touch, you're always gonna do it) who didn't sleep through (apart from the odd night) until the week before Angus was born, well, it's pretty cool.

I must away to tend to the portable heater that is my daughter. With any luck she will cool down and feel back to normal soon. I think we might just have a slothenly day today....and lay like broccoli on the sofa. Sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment