Thursday, December 2, 2010

You know you live in far north Queensland

when you go to bed at night, say for example last night, just to pick any night at random, and you hear a little noise and you think hmmm what might that be and so you go and get a torch to try and source the origin of the little sound and you realise that there is a frog in your bed. Note to self, frogs do not like to be lit up by torchlight whilst trying to be captured. Nor do they like being flung out the front door at speed. I figure they bounce everywhere anyway, it'll just be the biggest bounce of his life.

I gave the girls rice for dinner tonight. As Mitch Hedberg once said, rice is great when you're hungry and want 2000 of something. I love rice. Lexi adores rice. Tabitha can take or leave it. Most of the time she'll leave it. At least she is having a red hot go lately though. She's pretty ordinary with the spoon so most of the time it's fingers in at the ready. And rice, well, rice sticks. To everything. By the end of dinner between Lexi and Tabitha it looked as though it had been snowing. Which was nice actually, what with Christmas coming up and all. Less nice to clean up, but if you do spill rice you must must must clean it up straight away, for once it dries there is no substance harder. Except perhaps baby fingernails...they'll cut through glass...

My first day of Cokelessness went a lot better than anticipated. I only had one and a bit coffees too. That was more bad luck than bad management though...I microwaved one maybe half a dozen times but something always happened that drew me away from the lure of the caffeine. I have had a few glasses of water too, and some pineapple juice. So I'm doing okay. I think tomorrow will be a little more difficult.

I have my online grocery order arriving tomorrow. My how I love online grocery shopping. You can pick and choose, go through the specials, order things, unorder things, and then right when it comes to the finale if you think no I don't need that, you can just remove it, without having to hand it to the checkout chick for her to put behind her already cramped quarters until the next staff member comes along to replace in the aisles all those things that good meaning shoppers have decided to return at the last minute.

Running a little late this year, but the advent calendar will be arriving tomorrow. As well as the ingredients for chocolate crackles. That will be Lexi and my little cooking adventure tomorrow. I have a veritable plethora of fresh fruit and vegies arriving too because I have decided we simply don't eat fresh veg enough, so went hard at the shopping there. Not insanely, but enough that I can make some nice salads and stir fries and vegie patties and whatnot. I have no idea what else I ordered - I guess that's part of the joy as well. You open each bag and think ooooh I forgot I ordered that! And lucky for me I have had three kids in quick succession so I have the cumulative affects of three baby brains all mooshed into one. Sensational. I have no hope.

My excitement for the grocery delivery is not hampered by the fact that it is still raining. A lot. I'm hoping I get some sleep tonight, although I also would like to get my first essay finished. I only have 300 words to go, and I'm actually not too disillusioned - I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far.

Do you ever hear words and think wow I never realised that? Like the first time I realised a supermarket was in fact a super market. Sawdust is actually saw dust. It's quite amazing that all these words that are so obviously obvious in their derivation can be swimming around in your mind and vocabulary and it will take some random mention for that word to develop an entirely new meaning. 
 
I don't know how I'll go with the study and the kids tomorrow on day two of Cokelessness. Lucky I ordered 8 red bulls from woolies.....

No comments:

Post a Comment