Monday, December 13, 2010

I went to the post office.

Twice. Why twice? Because the first time I went I remembered to take one parcel and the tracking number to pick up another. That's pretty good. It's a shame I forgot the other five parcels that were sitting ready to go on the kitchen table. So I had to go twice. That's fine though I killed two birds with one stone and took some baby clothes that Angus has grown out of over to a friend of mine who is due to pop any day. And I mean any day. She is doing washing like there is no tomorrow. This child will arrive very soon, mark my words.

I know quite a few people who are due within the next two weeks, two of them actually due on Christmas Day. Must be hard for Christmas Day babies once they grow up a bit to share their birthday with the whole Christmas Day festivities. On the plus side though, you would always have family close to you on your birthday, which most of us in all honesty can't say happens for us.

My nana died on Christmas Day. She had been ill for some time, but I maintain that she waited until all the relatives had flown from all over Australia to get to her bedside so that for once the entire family would all be together at Christmas. And we spent the day together, and at 8 o'clock that night she died.

I was very lucky, I got to spend lots of time with her. She was a fabulous person, truly fabulous. And you know I realised that part of my love for KFC is directly attributable to my nana. For she used to live behind the KFC and every few weeks we would sit together at her house with a few pieces of chicken and just talk. I just loved spending that time with her. And so I associate KFC with such a positive, feel good, happy and loving feeling that I just don't find elsewhere. Isn't it funny how things just all of a sudden make sense.

My grandpa died on Anzac Day several years ago, and 2.5 years ago on Anzac Day my first daughter was born. I actually love that this happened. I love the circle of life. To know that with every end there is a beginning somewhere.

I am feeling somewhat meditative today. Could be to do with the fact that I have been up since just before 4am, could be the horrendous heat, could be a combination of a lot of things. But that's ok.

I wouldn't call it a bad day today, just a thoughtful one. But bad days are okay too, because without the bad days the good days wouldn't seem quite so good now would they.

No comments:

Post a Comment