Saturday, December 11, 2010

The most blatant case of false advertising

since the neverending story. What is you ask?? 100s and 1000s. This may seem an odd thing to say but I beg to differ. When you think of hundreds and thousands you think of the happy go lucky little colourful dots of sugar yes? Yes. That's what they are. And you get heaps in a packet don't you? Yes. Now, when your 2 year old gets hold of the container in which they are kept and removes the lid, watching these joyous little balls of colour bounce happily all over the floor, all the way down the hallway, you will understand. There are FAR more than simply thousands. And they can get into some tight little spots too.

So most recently my floor coverings have changed from lino, to rice bubbles, to two minute noodles, to sultana bran buds, to rice noodles to 100s and 1000s. Change is as good as a holiday they say. By the way, they're wrong. I'd much prefer a holiday.

E-I-E-I-O. And on that farm he had a sheep. E-I-E-I-O. With a baa baa here and a baa baa there. Here a baa. There a baa. Everywhere a baa baa. Random. Actually no, not random. Quite clever in fact. What am I talking about? I'm talking about Mick telling Lexi to wave bye bye to McDonald's and she starts singing the above.... What a clever little chicken. He was telling me about it and it took me good few minutes to get the gist of what he was actually saying.

It's been rather warm here of late. That statement can be compared to my saying the ocean is slightly damp. Somewhat of an understatement. Oppressive to the point of causing insanity may be another more appropriate way of stating it. The humidity hasn't been as bad today as it has been the last few days, but it's still well up there, and with more rain expected (rain, again, being a statement that one could compare with someone saying you may feel a light shower if you decide to stand underneath Niagara Falls) they anticipate the humidity will rise.

Tabitha has become a little more fearless than usual recently. She has taken to standing on chairs. Terrifying to see, sheerly terrifying. Yesterday she took it up a notch. I was feeding Angus and in the space of time it took me to get from the kitchen to the swing to the sofa and get the bottle out, Tabitha had climbed up on to the kitchen chair, then climbed up on to the kitchen table and was atop the glass table on all fours, whimpering like a lost puppy dog. Nothing like that sight to rip your heart out of your chest. And so later when she was sitting on the kitchen chair I said to her not to climb up there again and told her to make sure she sat still on her chair, she kicked the table, thereby pushing herself and the chair so that both of them fell backwards, and I, standing there with Angus in arms, shot my leg out to try and save some of the impact. I managed to move the chair and thus Tabitha's head a further inch or so away from the oven towards which she had been headed however there was no escaping the slight knock she received, so Angus was put down on the floor so I could whip Tabitha up in my arms. And so he wiggled and looked at me as though to say mum what are you doing, but I'm glad you just swept the floor kind of thing, and Tabitha felt sorry for herself and nestled her head into my neck.

It's never dull.

I asked Lexi what she wanted for dinner last night. She brought out a packet of rice noodles. No problem, rice noodles are great, I love them. She's never had that particular sort of noodle before so there's another thing for her to try. Be aware, be very aware, that rice noodles, while tasty and healthy to some extent, are incredibly tacky. Tacky? Tacky. Sticky. They will stick to EVERYTHING once cooked. And so the clothing was covered in what looked like a massacre in the home of a white spider. And the floor, once again, changed in appearance.

As a further note, rice noodles look like worms. Little tiny squirmy worms. I won't go into too much detail, but just remember your child has eaten them. That is all.

I'm hoping today isn't quite as bad a day as it has been lately. I'm thinking we might do something christmasy today. We're putting the tree up tomorrow, but today perhaps we might make some decorations. I am actually going to be making a chocolate christmas tree, and will be very gamely getting Lexi involved in that whilst Tabitha is in bed. Should be interesting anyway.

Kettle's boiled, I'd best go check that it is working correctly.....might use some of that half a kilo of coffee I found stealthily hiding on the cupboard the other day.....

No comments:

Post a Comment