Sunday, February 20, 2011

I don't think I told you

about my first online grocery delivery in this house......

You know I actually think that I could start an entirely new blog filled simply with tales of the online grocery deliveries. Seriously.

Well I put my first order in the other day. I wasn't actually sure if it went through or not. I cut it massively to the wire - it was 4.52pm when I was finalised things and I submitted the order at 4.59pm on the dot, only to be greeted with an error message, after which it returned me to the home page and everything still appeared in my trolley but if I looked in my past orders it said the order was current. So rather than risking getting two identical orders I thought I would wing it and hope that order did go through and all was well.

I actually heard the truck when it was arriving which was bizarre considering there is very little traffic noise here. But for some reason the truck made itself apparent in my ears. And so I waltzed out to the front door (not literally of course, although that would have been rather amusing) just in time to see the delivery man drive straight past and go around the corner. Now this is a very new area so I wondered what the odds were of 2 people in the same street getting a delivery, from the same store, in the same time window. So I grabbed my mobile phone and waited at the front door. Sure enough within 10 seconds of my grabbing the phone it rang. Head office for Woolies. "The driver can't find you" she says. "I'm waving at him" I replied. "Oh" she said. So he drove past again (coming from the wrong way) and signaled to me that he would turn around, which he promptly did.

Angus was in the swing and Lexi and Tabitha were still being pyjama slobs, mainly because mummy was knackered and thought it might be nice to have a lazy morning, forgetting about the delivery. The delivery guy arrived at the door. And then it started. But in order to easily identify him let us call him Abdullah, a good strong Turkish name (yes, the driver was Turkish, I'm not just picking some random nationality).

As soon as Abdullah arrived at the door it started. The talking. Oh my lord. I have never in my life met a delivery man who could talk quite so much. He popped the first grocery bag into the hallway and Lexi politely said "thank you grocery man" to which he said some lovely little thing to her about how polite she was. Then he told me his arm hurt. I of course said that's no good. Then I was told how when he was doing a delivery that morning (not mine, oh no, don't feel bad, it wasn't mine) he went to get something out of the back of the truck and the trolley was resting badly and fell and landed on his arm and he instantly thought oh dear that hurts so much but he kept on going and has been doing deliveries all morning even though his arm hurts because he doesn't think his boss would like it if he called in sick, oh no not at all.

And as the second bag came in he noticed Tabitha's eyes and asked who has the colourful eyes? Your husband has colourful eyes? Your children have colourful eyes. My wife, she and I we have children and they have colourful eyes and my wife and I we both have brown eyes so I say to my wife where do the colourful eyes come from and she says to me the milkman and I say what milkman. My father had beautiful eyes. My father was a very attractive man. My father, he looked like the actor from the television. Only more good looking. And he had beautiful children. But I feel so ugly. He so attractive, I like nothing compared to him.

This continued for another 10 or so minutes, while I stood there, speechless, and Lexi thanked him for every bag he brought in, while Tabitha continuously waved and said "bye".

And then he left. And that was that. Wonder what he'll talk about next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment