Monday, February 7, 2011

Unexplained thuds

should always be investigated. Do not automatically assume that the thuds are a result of an unbalanced load in the washing machine that is going. They may in fact be a result of your middle child realising that if she stands up in the cot she can reach the bookcase. And those thuds may just be the sound of books being dropped from said bookcase to the floor, one by one. And you may come in to see a very guilty looking child, book in hand, and a rather large pile of books unceremoneously plonked at the foot of the cot.

We had another road trip today. In many ways a very successful one, in other ways not so much. The success was that we went to look at a rental property and it ticked every box. And it "felt" right. And I think that is more important than anything to be honest. So I filled in the application on the spot, as I had brought everything I may need with me just on the offchance that it was the right place, and within half an hour the real estate agent had phoned me to ask some questions, phoned the owner of the property and phoned me once again to tell me the application was successful. So next week starts the next chapter in our lives and we have a beautiful new house to live in.

Lexi picked it. Odd? Yes. We were looking through numerous properties on the internet and she was looking at the photos with me then this house popped up and she said "I want this one mum". I said "really?" And she said "yes please mum". Interesting. So I phoned, made an appointment, we loaded up and off we went. When we got there Lexi was beside herself with excitement, standing at the door waiting patiently for the real estate agent to arrive to show us through. As he opened the door she ran through all the rooms excitedly, landing finally in the lounge room with a huge smile on her face and promptly said "this is my new house mummy!". Okay then. So I looked through the rest of it, out the back, fabulous yard, house itself is pristine being that nobody has lived in it before, and it really is just lovely. Application filled out and time to get back in the car. Hmmm. Lexi again. "Noooooooooooo!!! This is my new house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Needless to say she liked it and did not want to leave. She would have been happy to move in then and there. So I explained to her that we needed to go through the process (yes, pointless, but still, I tried), we hopped in the car, did a drive thru at Maccas to grab some food, Angus is screaming by this stage because he is starving, Lexi is screaming because she didn't want to leave and I am desperately searching for a park in which to eat our lunch. I did not find a park, I found a large grassy area that was good enough, or so I thought. I didn't factor in the huge rains that have fallen of late and discovered too late that the dirt was not dirt but mud, so everyone was pretty well covered in it, although happy because they had some food and drink.

Angus fed. Check. Girls fed. Check. Mud everywhere. Check. Nappies changed. Check. Let's get back in the car and head home. Phew. Massive effort.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to settling in there. I don't actually have any furniture as yet, save for a few things that friends have very kindly donated, so that in itself poses a few challenges. I'll need to get my boots on and get organised, for I have only 9 or 10 days to do so. Can't move in without beds for the kids so that is top priority. Me, I can sleep on the floor. Angus, he can sleep on some blankets on the floor until the cot arrives a few days later. No problems. Just gotta get the girls beds sorted. And a fridge. And a microwave. And a tv. We'll be right.

Results of one of my assignments came back today and although I didn't do as well as the first one I wasn't terribly surprised, for it was the assignment on shipping law that I found about as exciting as pulling the hairs out of my big toe one by one. Pointless, painful, and something I really never need to do or know about. But it means that even if for some random reason I don't complete the next assignment I have still passed the subject.  That's a nice feeling.

I'm having a glass of champers to celebrate the impending move because I think it is cause for celebration. Moving forward. Thinking to the future. I chose the location for several reasons. It is not too far from family, and importantly it is close enough to be commutable to Melbourne for when I start work once my Masters degree is finished. It's all good.

Now I must continue the efforts at actually getting the Masters done and head down bum up it and do some study. Each of the kids has been up already, Tabitha in a very messy way. She does not handle teething well at all. Poor poppet. And Lexi, well, let's just call her a sympathy crier shall we. At least tonight it isn't as cold as last night and hopefully my chapped lips will stop burning so I can enjoy this champers and get stuck into the wonders of the Privacy Act of 1988. Fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment