Friday, February 4, 2011

I was under the misguided notion

that by moving to Victoria I would no longer have to contend with the intense storms to which the tropics are prone. Wrong wrong wrong. Tonight has proven that. Thunderbolts and lightning very very frightening me (Gallileo Gallileo cut to Wayne's World). The rain that has fallen tonight has not only been constant but strong. Incredibly, massively strong. To the point where you could literally hear the rain pouring off the roof because the gutters simply could not cope. Today it was hot though. And then tonight not so much, but wet. And there you have it, thunderstorm city.

Most of Victoria is being affected at the moment. There are people out there who say global warming is a myth, that the weather patterns we are experiencing are due to La Nina, the distant cousin of El Nino who does whatever the hell he wants as regards weather patterns. But still, whilst this may be the case, it is remisce of anyone to think that we as a society have nothing to do with the weather. For in times gone by, before humans inhabited the planet, there was no big business spewing crap into the atmosphere, there was no mass fishing, there was no mining, there was nothing like that. We are most definitely having an affect on the planet and the ostriches of the world need to realise that is the case. Global warming, greenhouse effect, whatever you want to call it, humans are having an impact on mother nature. And judging by what she's thrown at us, in particular Queensland, in the last few weeks, she seems pretty pissed.

I'm studying. Sort of. I can't access the uni library site which is frustrating me no end. So I'm resorting to bashing the google button on the internet machine (thank you Will Ferrell). I'm coming up with a few good things, a few dodgy things, but trying to get my head around them all.

I can't believe how many spiders there are here. Not those little teensy tiny little button spiders, but size of your hand huntsmen. Since I have been here I kid you not I would have killed close to 20 of them. And yes, I probably should catch them and put them outside. But no, because the bastards would just bloody well come back inside and they are not welcome. So they will die. Sorry spiders, time's up. If they got the message they just wouldn't come inside but they don't get it, so they get it. Simple. At least I'm not scared of spiders. They do annoy me a bit, and I don't like it when they land on you cos that's just plain rude, but I'm not terrified by them. Moths and butterflies I am terrified of. No butterfly house at the zoo for me. Plus it's really hot in there anyway. So yep, you can have that one.

I had a point but it's gone. Oh I tried to watch American Idol again tonight but dense cloud cover told me to go and study so I did. Disappointing.

Maybe I'll cook tomorrow. Shame, I have no recipes anymore. All my recipes from my old computer are no more. I'm being philosophical. I figure that of all the recipes I had on there I had only really used probably 1% of them. The important ones (aka popcorn chicken) I remember without having to consult the recipe. The others, well, I never used them so realistically I don't actually miss them cos you can't really miss what you never had. That's my theory anyway. I did however have a few povvo recipes on there that I wanted to try out and never got the chance so it is my quest to replace those with something or other.

Kids have been up and down all night...combination of the thunder and lightning, Lexi turning upside down in bed and Tabitha getting her leg caught in the cot bars as well as Angus deciding he really just wanted a little cuddle before he really settled for the night. Just another night chez us.

I should probably contemplate bed, which I shall do, and then will probably reconsider and try the stupid uni website again, to most likely get nahmated and frustrated, by which time Angus will be up for a feed and Tabitha will be up needing her nappy changed cos as per usual she drank far too much prior to bed time. Yep. Usual night.

No comments:

Post a Comment