Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Priorities

become glaringly apparent when curve balls are thrown your way.

I have an essay due tomorrow and I have been stressing somewhat about this essay because all the kids have been sick and up most of the night so study time is very limited, as is sleep time.

Last night I could not have given a flying razoo about the essay. Lexi was spinning around in the kitchen with Tabitha (kids love to spin and stopping them doing it is something like trying to stop the sun rising in the morning). She was having a wonderful time until she lost her footing and fell, landing head first on the lino. She screamed. She cried. I cuddled her tight. This lasted about 10 minutes. She then toddled over to the lounge chair and promptly fell asleep. Not a good sign.

So I picked her up and put her into bed thinking that she may wake up in the next 10 or 15 minutes to have some panadol for what must be a ripper of a headache. I wasn't prepared for the massive onslaught of continuous vomiting that occurred. And fall + drowsiness + vomiting spells danger.

I packed her into the car and off we went to the hospital. We didn't make it 5 minutes before she threw up again. That reminds me I still have to clean the car. And then we drove another 5 minutes and she threw up again. A small sleep and another few hurls before we arrived at the hospital, literally covered in vomit. I had towels in the car and kept placing them on her but the vomiting was violent and the towels were moving and there was not a great deal that could be done.

So we rocked up at emergency reeking of vomit, and covered in it, they asked what had happened, and, with a waiting room literally full of people, they rushed Lexi through, she vomiting just before we got to the room she was put into.

I can't believe just how good the nurses and doctor were with her. They made her feel comfortable, explained everything to her in a way she could understand, and made me feel more at ease too.

We were told that with head injuries the worst things usually happen in the first four hours, so they wanted to keep us there until it had been four hours since the injury. I agreed. That was fine. The doctor was fairly sure that she had sustained only a low velocity head injury, she was still complaining of pain in the back of the head as well as the front, but as the nurse explained, often times head injuries are like a tomato in a glass jar. If you shake the jar the tomato is going to bruise on both sides. I think that about sums it up.

Anyway long story short they gave her something to stop the vomiting, gave me a rundown and a printed sheet of all the things to look out for and let us go home, Lexi still wearing the pink hospital gown they had given her to wear as all her clothes were covered in vomit.

We got home, she was asleep, and I put her into bed. I then did my essay for an hour and a half, then Angus woke up so I fed him. Then Tabitha woke up so I gave her a bottle. Then I checked on Lexi. I crawled into bed at about 1.30am and at 1.45am Angus coughed waking himself up. The rest of the night really just went Angus, Tabitha, Lexi, until morning arrived and we all got up and started over.

Lexi is much better today. Angus is getting there. Tabitha still has a runny nose but the cough seems to have broken. Mummy is absolutely shagged but got the essay finished this morning.

I had other things I was going to say but to be quite honest I don't even know what day it is let alone what it was I was going to say. Oh, but I need clothes pegs and coat hangers. That is one thing I have to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment