Thursday, November 18, 2010

Be thankful for small mercies

The small mercy for which I'm thankful this morning is that Angus slept from 7pm until 4.15am. That is enormous! Why, you ask, is this classified a small mercy? Well, usually it would not be. Usually I would be jumping up and down screaming with joy, embracing the world for all its wonder blah blah. However it is a small mercy because Tabitha was up from 2am. I am merely thankful that Angus held off waking until I had managed to settle Tabitha back down. Needless to say I am rather tired this morning and, once again, I find myself decidedly short of Red Bull. I have Coke, the kettle is boiling, that will just have to do for today.

If you've ever watched poker you will know that some people have amazing poker faces, not giving away any idea as to the strength of the hand they hold. Conversely, there are some people who have what are referred to as "tells". These are the subconscious mannerisms that reveal to others the relative strength, or weakness, of the hand that is held. Lexi has a tell. When she comes out with her hands clasped together, prayer style, you can be 100% sure that she has either done something or been into something, and more than likely it is the latter, the hands being folded in order that the adult (me) is not able to see that with which she has been messing around.

Yesterday Lexi came out with her hands clasped together. Oh dear. Tell. So I say "Lexi what have you got on your hands?" and she unclasps her hands to reveal they are wet. Instantly I run through my mind what sources of water there are that Lexi could possibly reach. My mind jumps to the shower, where I had been not long before, and there was some remaining water on the floor. So I got up and went for a little mosey to the bathroom. I was not prepared for the sight of the toilet brush sitting on top of the toilet and water strewn all around it. Not prepared at all. All I could say was "oh no" over and over. This was not a nice sight to see let me tell you. Usually the bathroom door remains closed at all times, however we also have a tumble dryer in there, and with the wet season firmly in place up here the tumble dryer does get quite a bit of use, which was occurring at the time of the toilet brush incident. And so the door was open in order that some of the hot air could be released from the dryer as the fan is simply insufficient. Anyway, fact remains she got in there, created a mess in a disturbing fashion, and I had to clean it up. The small mercy to be thankful for there is that the toilet had been cleaned only the day before.

I'm thinking today might be a banana bread day. I would also like to get my online shopping order finished. I had made so many attempts at it yesterday however with Cylone Lexi and Typhoon Tabitha blowing through at consistent intervals the shopping was relegated to a position of slightly lesser importance and the cessation of hands opening and closing doors and drawers was the priority.

It's quite funny the things that run through your mind when you are awake with your children. There is the inevitable feelings that you wish your child would sleep, and, in Tabitha's case, that she was not in pain. Teeth truly are mongrels. But then there are the other thoughts. Random thoughts. I often find that words jump into my mind and replay until they gather some form of meaning. I was watching Ace of Cakes last night and they were doing a cake that was shaped like a dynamometer or something, and then they mentioned hydraulics. As I was stroking Tabitha's back at 3am this morning I suddenly realised that hydraulic is related to hydro, which means water, and thus I instantly understood hydraulics. Now how's THAT for random??

No comments:

Post a Comment