Thursday, November 18, 2010

My hero

is generally known to be the colonel for his wonderful 11 secret herbs and spices, his sensational hot n spicy and oh so alluring popcorn chicken. Bearing this in mind it is a huge statement to say that there is something else that is my hero. That thing is puff pastry.

I am having a distinctly unmotivated day, due largely in part to the huge amount of sleep I did not get last night. So breakfast was cereal, morning tea was fruit and a meusli bar, lunch was fairy bread (this because Lexi has been bringing me the hundreds and thousands dozens of times a day and I basically got sick of it so to shut her up, I know, terrible mum, I told her she could have them for lunch - she did not argue with me), afternoon tea was a muffin, and dinner is, wait for it, puff pastry with pureed baby food inside. I think I've stumbled onto something here. It was the perfect way to involve Lexi in cooking where I didn't have to clean up the carnage that usually follows - I used Raffertys. Any of you that know Raffertys know that they come in a soft pouch with a screw top lid - perfect for little hands to squirt on to puff pastry. And mum adds a bit of cheese and squashes it all together with a bit of milk wash on top, piff it in the oven on high and 15-20 minutes later out comes dinner. Essentially just vegies in puff pastry with cheese. But oh so very very lazy to make, and the kids love them. Granted it probably isn't the healthiest way to eat vegetables, pre prepared and shoved between layers of buttery goodness, but, well, I'm absolutely buggered and just couldn't face the thought of cooking. I'm thinking for the grown ups tonight will be Noodle Paradise or something similar.

Prior to having children I didn't realise that it was possible to say the same phrase so many times in one day. If I got a dollar for every time I have said "get out of the cupboard" I would be living the high life somewhere spacious in the country, the girls would have a great playground outside, we'd have a vegie patch, a grand piano, one of those double door fridge freezer things, a home cinema .Ok, I'm getting carried away, but you know what I mean.

Lexi has recently (as in the last two days) decided that it is she who will decide the clothes she wears for the day. Gone are the days of mum offering the choice of two outfits and Lexi choosing the preferred one. Now it would appear that the new age has arrived and Lexi, who has obviously watched far too many episodes of Project Runway with me, will be dressing herself. Yesterday it was a purple floral sundress teamed with a pair of red and white spotted pants, today it was a blue sundress with black corduroy pants. It's hard to visualise, so I'll attach a photo.




Mini dude has commenced the siren call so I must away. Might be time for a feed. In fact definitely time for a feed. A bientot....

No comments:

Post a Comment