Saturday, November 27, 2010

I don't know how long this will last

The quiet I mean. Tabitha is asleep, Angus has just gone to sleep and Mick has taken Lexi down to the shops with him. I have the tv on mute and all I can hear is the incredibly annoying, though at this moment in time oddly soothing, buzz  of the fridge, and the tap tap tap of my fingers typing what you are at this very moment in time reading.

I dislike my computer quite a lot at the moment. Why? Because the keyboard is ridiculously stupid. And why you ask is it stupid? Okay, well, that may be partly my fault. But then again it may not. I decided to clean it because let's face it keyboards collect all manner of whatnot from the air and from fingers and from tiny little people coming up and chewing over the top of it. So I thought I'll just plink the keys off and give it a good clean out. Hmm. Better in theory than practice. It appears that at some stage some sticky liquid has fallen into the depths of the undercarriage of the keyboard, and as such everything that fell subsequent to this liquid has become trapped, never to be freed, much as a fly gets caught in the web of a spider.

Out came the baby wipes. They truly are fit for all occasions. If you ever need to clean a ceiling fan, use a baby wipe. Trust me.

So back to the cleaning. I managed to get quite a bit of gunk out of the keyboard, but the problems really started when I started putting the keys back on. What I did not realise prior to delicately flicking them from their normal places of rest was that certain keys also had little metal  parts that click onto goodness knows what in order that they can function correctly. The key (no pun intended) button here was the space bar. Now this space bar is giving me such grief it is ridiculous. And do you think the computer will accept a different keyboard? You got it. Nope.

Pair with this the fact that many of the keys are now without name due to the fact that the keyboard has received such attention and use over the last few years, and, well, you get the drift.

What I would reeeeally like is a laptop. Why? Firstly because it would mean that I could go anywhere with it. And with these new fandangled internet stick things, well, the world is my oyster. Secondly, I could close the lid. No more little fingers inserting ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiffffffffff-09999999999-----0098;;;;;;;;;;;;;" into my essays. No more INADVERTENTLY TYPING THINGS IN CAPS BECAUSE YOU DON'T REALISE A LITTLE FINGER HAS TOUCHED THE KEYBOARD WHILST YOU REACH DOWN TO WIPE THE NOSE OF SAID LITTLE FINGERS. Thirdly, well, it's kinda cool.

I have a wish list. I'm thinking that if I believe in santa hard enough maybe my stocking will be full. They say to children that if they believe hard enough if just may come true. Well, essentially I am a child (well, I once was), and I certainly behave that way sometimes, and I enjoy watching cartoons, so let's just accept that for argument's sake, for the purpose of this particular scenario, I am a child.

Bring it on Santa, I've been good....

No comments:

Post a Comment